Thursday, November 20, 2014

Watercolors, stamps and embossing powder

I didn't think of taking a photo of the paper until
you guessed it after I mussed it up some.
Its a 12x12 of a photograph of trees.
A forest of trees.
I wanted to make a "home" for a photo and embellishments
so I laid down some gesso and watercolors.
I added the dotted stamp with black ink and then brought
out the distressed embossing powder.
 I tend to forget about embossing powder - it does add a cool layer.
I also got to use my new tree die cut from Spellbinders.
Again its gotta lot of intricacy going on so I used wax paper in 
order to get the die out without losing limbs or leaves.
I also heard a suggestion that dryer sheets work too - I'll try it next time
and give you an updated. Unless you already tried it.
Then let me know.
 Scattered the trees about and then layered up with
goodies from the Paper Issues Swag Bag - from different months.
Love the tree with the banners.
  I did put the page and colors together with no photo in mind.
And then I had to make a custom size because silly me
I glued down those striped banners.
Therefore, the photo size is 3x1.75.
Which is a good thing because it was a small photo and
anything bigger would be really blurry and pixilated because
its a digital photo of the original.

I think it works rather well with a heritage photo.
That is a photo of my great great grandmother Mathilda Anderson
and my grandpop (her grandson) Bill Schneider.
I did the journaling between the embossed dots at the top and
I only know the players in the photo,
not a where (just guessing) nor a why.
Guessing the date is about 1920 - because grandpop looks about 20.
But I could be wrong.

Studio Calico, Paper Issues Swag Bag, Spellbinder die, Tim Holtz distress embossing powder.

2 comments:

Connie Mercer said...

what a neat project!! Love what you did and the photo is fabulous!!!

nfaband said...

A beautiful job Lynn, and of course it wouldn't be your page if you didn't "muss" it up just a bit. LOL