Friday, August 17, 2018

Two Rockland Lighthouses

First up is the Rockland Breakwater Lighthouse
that is WAAAYY out there.
Not like I was daunted by that distance but.....
the jetty was rocky, uneven, and well it just a lot
of work to get out there that I wasn't
in the mood to do.
I know right.
I usually don't have issues with a lot of work
but my fancy footwork doesn't lend
to a lot of unevenness of rocks and crevices.
Anyway, the lighthouse was built in 1890's and its nearly a mile out.
 It loooked soooo cool and I was also hoping
to get another angle down the road,
but alas, twas not to be.
And don't the sailboats look like they're having a great time?
 My pal Gail enjoying the moment.
 Then on to Owl's head Lighthouse and as we turned the
corner in the park there was this adorable post office.
 And just was we got there the fog rolled in.
The lighthouse was built in 1825 and rebuilt in 1852.
It's 100 feet above mean sea level.
 Even though I hate heights I made it up the
steps just in time for blue skies.
 Looking out over the peninsula was fog, there was a ship
passing by and by the time I focused it disappeared into the fog.
 This granite rock giving a nutshell of the history
of the lighthouse.
Very hard to read by cool all the same.
 An old sea captain haunts the lighthouse.
I didn't see him but that doesn't mean he isn't there.
There was also a dog named Spot, whose job it
was to ring the fog warning bell.
After he passed, he was buried near the bell.

There is also a story of a man, first mate and a fiance
ran aground in the rocks. The lightkeeper
found the captain half frozen, and a couple days
later the captain happened to mention the two other people.
They were eventually found encased in ice and thought to be dead.
Well they slowly thawed them out and the first mate
and fiance had 4 children. The man Roger Elliot did not
make a full recovery.

2 comments:

Connie Mercer said...

Interesting for sure!!! have fun Lynn!

Lynne Goebeler said...

Love a good story, and great pics!