Sunday, October 2, 2011

We took the ferry over...............

This is the ferry from Dana Point that
we sailed over to Catalina Island 
At the crack of dawn.
 26 miles across the sea.
Santa Catalina is the place for me.
Now that song will be in your head all day.
You're welcome.
This is a view as we were approaching the island.
It is beautiful!
 One of the streets on the Island as
we went exploring.
So far, they have everything.
 We took the Island tour and it was amazing
ANDOMG THE ROADS ARE WORSE THAN CA HWY 1.
And its on a bus, that can't make some of the turns,
or barely fits on the road.
Of course I was at the window, again on the DROPOFF
NEVERTOBESEENAGAIN side.
And the driver pulls over to EDGE. Like he had to do that.
And then he talks, looks where he's pointing and
STILL DRIVING ON THE EDGE.
As soon as I get over the trauma, I'll show you some of the
dizzying shots. I need to pace myself.
This is one of the pony express stops to change horses.
 Zane Grey a popular western novelest (and his books totally rock)
lived on Catalina. A hollywood film-maker wanted
to do a film of his books (which are awesome BTW)
Zane agreed but wanted it done on Catalina.
So they imported North American Bison.
Which still live here roaming the range.
 Above is one of the layover stops on the pony express.
It has been around the block a few times.
 Hummingbirds which I had a lot of issues getting a shot of.
They really need to slow down and smell the roses,
And so not be in front of the light. Sigh.
And here is leg one of five of the zip line tour.
Of which I can unequivocally say that will NOT be ME
zipping on down the line.
I'm still traumatized from the road, the cliffs, the dropoffs.
Dangling. 

7 comments:

Jess said...

love these pics...that pic of the bison is sooo awesome!

Ursula Schneider said...

ha ha ha. I would totally be traumatized by that kind of trip too, but it sounds like a great trip overall.

April Says... said...

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!
LOVE THESE THE BEST SO FAR!!
and I am at the same time VERY disappointed that you won't be doing the zip line...what action shots you could get!!!

Connie Mercer said...

Totally understand~I'm right there with you!!! Love your though!!!

Linda Beeson said...

I love to go over to Catalina Island, we need to do that more often.

Marlene said...

I would zip line that in a New York minute!! Looks like FUN!!! Come on, where's your sense of adventure?!!

nfaband said...

Amzing ... isn't it just the most enchanting place in the world. Twenty Six Miles across the sea, Santa Catalina is the place for me ... performed by the Four Preps. Love that song, love that place. Glad you got to enjoy it ...